BBQ chicken with coconut rice is a classic dish that combines the flavors of smoky grilled chicken with the sweetness and creaminess of coconut rice. It’s a perfect meal for summer gatherings, family dinners, or even for meal prepping. This dish is delicious and nutritious, as it’s rich in protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
To make BBQ chicken with coconut rice, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Chicken pieces (such as thighs or drumsticks)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Barbecue sauce
- Jasmine rice
- Coconut milk
- Lime juice
You’ll also need a grill, a large bowl, and a pot with a lid.
Barbecue chicken recipe, start by choosing high-quality chicken pieces that are fresh and preferably organic.To marinate the chicken, mix olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Cover up the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 35 minutes or up to around 2 hours.
For grill, heat before you grill to medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 8-10 minutes on each side, or until it’s fully cooked and the juices run clear. During the last few minutes of grilling, brush the chicken with barbecue sauce on both sides. This will enhance the flavor and give it a nice glaze.
Barbecue Chicken Recipe: Ingredients:
- 4-6 chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
To make coconut rice, start by rinsing the jasmine rice in cold water until the water runs clear. In a pot, combine the rice, coconut milk, water, garlic, and salt. Simmer the rice for 15-20 minutes, or until it’s fully cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
To add some flavor to the coconut rice, you can stir in some lime juice and chopped cilantro once it’s cooked.
Coconut Rice Recipe: Ingredients:
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a pot, combine the rice, coconut milk, water, garlic, and salt.
- , then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid.
- Simmer the rice for 15-20 minutes, or until the liquid is fully absorbed and the rice is tender. 5. Once the rice is cooked, remove it from the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve the rice alongside the grilled chicken.
To serve the BBQ chicken with coconut rice, place a portion of rice on each plate and top it with a piece of grilled chicken. You can also add some fresh vegetables, such as roasted asparagus or a side salad, to complete the meal.
There are many variations you can make to this dish, depending on your preferences and dietary restrictions. For example, you can use brown rice or quinoa instead of jasmine rice, or use tofu or tempeh instead of chicken for a vegetarian option. You can also experiment with different types of barbecue sauce, such as spicy or sweet, to change up the flavor.
Barbecue Sauce Recipe: Ingredients:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until it thickens.
BBQ chicken with coconut rice is a simple yet delicious dish that’s perfect for any occasion. With the combination of smoky grilled chicken and creamy coconut rice, it’s a meal that’s sure to please everyone. Plus, with the variations and substitutions you can make, it’s a dish that’s versatile enough to suit any taste or dietary restriction.
- Can I use a different type of rice for coconut rice? Yes, you can use any type of rice you prefer for coconut rice. However, jasmine rice is the most commonly used type of rice for this dish as it has a subtle flavor that pairs well with the coconut.
- Can I use bottled barbecue sauce instead of making my own?
Just make sure to choose a high-quality sauce that doesn’t contain any artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Can I make this dish in advance? Yes, you can make both the chicken and rice in advance and store them separately in the fridge for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, reheat the chicken in the oven or on the grill and reheat the rice on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Can I freeze leftovers? Yes, you can freeze any leftover chicken or rice separately in airtight containers for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, thaw them in the fridge overnight and reheat as needed.